Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Last Game At Shea: How A Marlins Fan Saw It

By Pat McCabe

Let me start this post by saying that I bleed Marlins’ turquoise and silver, and have being proudly doing so since 1993. Sure, I was just a little kid who liked the team because the logo was really cool, but the connection I have with the Marlins quickly developed, and I have been locked in for the entire ride. I’ve seen the best and worst of times, and as any true Rays fan can tell you, seeing your team on the brink of the World Series after having the worst record in baseball a couple of years ago gives true meaning to the phrase “die-hard fan.”

Now, all that being said, this die-hard Marlins fan has to confess that for one day (and one day only!) I had to go against my Marlins. I needed time since September 28, 2008 to decide why I was rooting against the Marlins, but finally, I’ve got it. Now, its not my extreme hatred of those Philadelphia Phillies, nor is it the fact that roughly seven of the Marlins on the field during that game won’t be back next season, but it comes down to the fact that, because I live in New Jersey, Shea Stadium is the stadium I’ve called home. For my entire life.



The last game at Shea was certainly an example of the hardnosed, spikes up approach that the Marlins have played the Mets since they came into the league. The games are close, high intensity, and always end with a bang. Sure, I loved seeing Wes Helms and Dan Uggla club back-to-back jacks and take the lead, but when Matt Lindstrom retired the last Mets' batter, I realized that the stadium I have been to the most in my life is now...gone.

Now, a Mets victory wouldn’t have kept the stadium open for more seasons, but had the Mets made the playoffs, Shea would have received a fitting end to its long run. This idea holds true for the Yankees as well...both New York teams deserved to retire their stadiums after one final season of October baseball

Next year, when the Mets open their beloved Citi Field, I hope the Marlins come into town and win the game 10-0. But for one game, that last game at Shea, hearing the phrase, “Goodbye Shea,” will stay with me much, much longer than a Gary Cohen letting “the Marlins win" close out SNY's last ever broadcast from Shea.



The opinions mentioned here are solely those of the author of this post and are not shared by other posters on this site or the site creator

No comments: