Thursday, August 21, 2008

Reflecting on My Night as a Rollergirl


By Joe Murray

I was putting on roller blades for the first time since fifth grade except, this wasn’t an elementary school skating party. I was lacing up the skates, putting on the pads and preparing myself to step on the rink with the Garden State Rollergirls.

How did I get myself into this unlikely position?

Well, a few weeks before this ‘Punchy Brewster’, a skater, and ‘Thrillhouse’, a league referee, appeared on From the Stands and I happened to suggest that I would welcome an invite to experience a practice. When I got the call a week later that this was actually going to happen, I was both excited…and a little nervous. The whole car ride there I was trying to psych myself up and pretend that I could actually roller skate; and I was not going to make a fool of myself. After a few wrong turns, we stumbled upon the rink. After trudging through warm-ups, it was finally time to put the skates on. Then, it was time to really start the practice.

To my surprise, I only fell three times, although I was being consistently lapped by a rollergirl every time I went around the rink. Finally it was time for me to do some hitting drills, which was arguably the part I was most worried about. To my dismay, it did not matter how much football I played in my life or how athletic I was, I had no chance when it came to the hitting.
I was knocked into the cement walls as well as the unforgiving wood floors, luckily not breaking any bones. This went on for a good half hour, and by the end, I felt like I was hit by a train.

To say I was glad that the practice was over is an understatement; if it had gone on any longer I feel as though I would have just collapsed. When I was finally able to take my skates off and relax, I realized just how tough a practice it was. While it was definitely a great experience taking part in a roller derby practice, I can safely say that I am going to retire from the sport.

* Check out the videos of Joe's trip to Branch Brook Park right here under the WSOU Sports Video Link List!


The opinions mentioned here are solely those of the author of this piece and are not shared by other posters on this site or the site creator

No comments: